OUTDOOR FIREPLACES - CHIMENEAS
Chimeneas, which are portable, outdoor terra cotta fireplaces, are rapidly becoming a favorite item for the deck or patio. Used properly a chimenea can provide you with years of safe, aesthetically pleasing, outdoor enjoyment. Like any fireplace however it is necessary to follow some basic fire safety guidelines.
- Do not use your chimenea indoors.
- Your chimenea is not intended as a primary heat source.
- Never use gasoline, kerosene, starter fluids or any other substances, which may create a rapid buildup of fire.
- Do not use within four feet of any combustible materials or high wind condition.
- If the chimenea is used on a wood deck, protect the deck with a non-combustible surface to catch the sparks or popping coals. A “UL listed stove mat” or “hearth board” are two examples and are available at many hardware stores. Screens to cover the firebox are also available.
- Most importantly, always follow closely the instructions provided by the manufacturer so that you may safely enjoy your chimenea for many years.
You can reach the Mendham Bureau of Fire Prevention at 973-543-7152 x19