Wednesday, August 15, 2018
       
  Home  
       
  FIRE PREVENTION BUREAU  
       
  FIRE PREVENTION STAFF  
       
  9-1-1 INFORMATION  
       
  ANNUAL REPORT  
       
  FIRE SAFETY PERMITS  
       
  ORDINANCES & GENERAL FIRE SAFETY INFORMATION  
       
  FIRE LANES  
       
  OPEN FLAMES OR BURNING  
       
  FIRE INSPECTIONS  
       
  SELLING YOUR HOME FIRE SAFETY REQUIREMENTS  
       
  SAFETY TOPICS
Candle Safety
Carbon Monoxide
Chimney Safety
Electrical Fire Safety
Get Out and Stay Out
Grill Safety
Holiday SafetyTips
Home Fire Safety
Know When To Go
Outdoor Fireplaces & Chimeneas
Portable Generator Hazards
Smoke Detectors
Propane Gas Grill Safety
 
       
  FOCUS ON  
       
  KIDS PAGES  
       
  FIRE PREVENTION WEEK  
       
  PARENT/ CAREGIVER PAGE  
       
  RECALLS  
       
  FORMS  
       
  OTHER  
       
  PUBLIC EDUCATION  
       
  COMMUNITY PROFILE  
       
  DISCLAIMER  
       
  KNOX BOX Rapid Entry System  
       
  Contact Us  
       
 

"The leading cause of
poisoning deaths in America"

Carbon Monoxide

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless deadly gas. Because you can not see, taste, or smell it, Carbon Monoxide can kill you before you know it is there.

Who is at risk?

Everyone is at risk for Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Experts believe, however, that individuals with greater oxygen requirements such as unborn babies, infants, children, senior citizens, and people with coronary or respiratory problems are at greater risk.

Why is Carbon Monoxide
so dangerous?

The great danger of Carbon Monoxide is its attraction to hemoglobin in the bloodstream. CO is breathed in through the lungs and bonds with hemoglobin in the blood, displacing the oxygen cells need to function. When CO is present in the air, it rapidly accumulates in the blood, forming a toxic compound knows as caroxyhemoglobin (COHb).

Where does
Carbon Monoxide
come from?

Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of combustion, present whenever fuel is burned. It is produced by common home appliances, such as gas or oil furnaces, refrigerators or clothes dryers, water heaters, fireplaces, charcoal grills, gas ranges, wood burning stoves, and space heaters. Fumes from automobiles also contain Carbon Monoxide and can enter a home through walls or doorways if a car is left running in an attached garage.

All of these sources can contribute to a CO problem in the home. If a home is vented properly and is free from appliance malfunctions, air pressure fluctuations or airway blockages, Carbon Monoxide will most likely be safely vented to the outside. But in today's energy efficient homes this is frequently not the case. Insulation meant to keep warm air in during winter months can trap CO polluted air in a home year round. Furnace heat exchangers can crack, vents can become blocked, inadequate air supply for combustion appliances can cause conditions knows as backdrafting or reverse stacking, which force contaminated air back into the home.

How can I protect
myself and my family
from CO poisoning?

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends installing at least one Carbon Monoxide detector per household, near the sleeping area. A second detector near the home's heat source provides extra protection. Choose an Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed detector that sounds an audible alarm. First Alert, the leading name in home safety, manufactures a UL listed, battery operated Carbon Monoxide detector that continues to protect even in the event of a power outage. The First Alert model uses patented biomimetic technology, which simulates the body's response to CO and will not respond to other gases. A hard wired AC model with battery backup is also available.

Common Sources of CO

  • Blocked chimney opening
  • Clogged chimney
  • Portable heater
  • Gas or wood burning fireplace
  • Improperly installed gas kitchen range or cook top vent
  • Gas clothes dryer
  • Operating barbecue grill in enclosed area such as a garage
  • Corroded or disconnected water heater vent pipe
  • Leaking chimney pipe or flue
  • Cracked heat exchanger